As the calendar rolls over to 2024, it is a good time for businesses and organizations to revisit and refresh their safety programs. New Years is typically the time when individuals make new commitments or resolutions to themselves, their families, and at work. As a safety professional, you can extend your commitment to those you serve by kicking off the New Year focused on employee well-being.
Here are a few ideas you can implement after (or before!) the ball drops:
- Year-End or New Year Safety Audits:
- Employee Training and Refreshers:
- Emergency Procedures: Ensure all employees are familiar with emergency procedures, including evacuation routes, assembly points, and the location of emergency equipment such as fire extinguishers.
- First Aid Training: Provide or refresh first aid training for those designated employees.
- Safety Protocols: Have a toolbox meeting or other training to remind employees of safety protocols relevant to their roles.
- Communication and Awareness:
- Safety Reminders: Use email or other methods to regularly remind employees of safety protocols, guidelines or procedures.
- Anonymous Reporting: Establish an anonymous reporting system for employees to raise safety concerns.
- Training Programs: Invest in ongoing safety training programs to keep employees informed about the latest safety practices, procedures and protocols.
Here’s to a safe and successful New Year!